Edgenuity Community

Expand all | Collapse all

Lowered grade due to not signing on

• 1.  Lowered grade due to not signing on

Posted 9 days ago

I teach adult ed students and because of this, a student has reported that his grade is lowered when he doesn't check in daily.  I would like to eliminate this for the student since he's working a lot of hours right now.  Also, can I eliminate it permanently for all my adult students? Their work hours are irregular and they often face many barriers that keep them from progressing toward their high school diploma.

Thank you.

------------------------------
    cara lazarus
    benicia unified school district

• 2.  RE: Lowered grade due to not signing on

Posted 8 days ago
    When a student doesn't work for a day, their "actual grade" is lowered because they didn't complete the work assigned that day, so they have fallen behind.
    The "overall grade" would not be lowered.

stephanie reilly
    fox chapel area school district

• 3.  RE: Lowered grade due to not signing on

Posted 8 days ago
    When the adult ed student completes the assignment, the grade will raise. There is no "punishment" in the grade once it is finished, but until it is finished, if the date it was due has passed, the assignment will act like a zero until the student completes it. It is meant to inspire people to keep on pace but it can feel defeating to an adult trying to complete it. I would encourage that adult learner to look at what assignments are due before the next time that he or she can come back to work on things and complete all assignments through that date.

Carla Belyea
    Virtual Math, Chemistry, Computers, and CTE Instructor - Part-Time
    Edgenuity

• 4.  RE: Lowered grade due to not signing on

Posted 8 days ago

I only worry about the actual grade for completed work.  I have my progress reports set up to only report that grade to parents. Edgenuity, as far as how we use it, is self-paced, so students have some flexibility. We put in a target date to give them a guide as to where they should be at any given time, but do not penalize them if they don't make that mark. I see that several schools on here have a component that allows them to give 0's for attendance or not making a progress check-point and that is worrisome to me because, in my opinion, grades should be based on academic performance.

Every Pirate. Every Day!

Diane Wilson, Ed.S

La Vega ISD ~ Success Academy

901 Maxfield

Waco, Texas  76705

(254)299-6752

(254)265-3350

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
    www.avast.com

• 5.  RE: Lowered grade due to not signing on

Posted 8 days ago
    The "actual grade" in the progress reports does include a penalty for being behind in progress. Is that the grade that your parents see?

stephanie reilly

• 6.  RE: Lowered grade due to not signing on

Posted 8 days ago

I'm sorry- I used the incorrect term for Edgenuity purposes.  They see the "OVERALL" grade – which shows mastery of what they have attempted. They also see percentage completed and percentage where they should be based on the target date in place.

Every Pirate. Every Day!

Diane Wilson, Ed.S

901 Maxfield

Waco, Texas  76705

(254)299-6752

(254)265-3350

Avast logo

www.avast.com

• 7.  RE: Lowered grade due to not signing on

Posted 8 days ago
    Then what do you do at the end of the year if the student hasn't finished?
    Is the final course grade lowered by using the "Relative Grade"?

I'm asking because I've debated with myself so many times what grade(s) the parents and kiddos should see. I don't want them to be caught off guard by a low grade at the end of the year if they don't finish.
    I change my display on the student dashboard to the Relative Grade near the end of the year, so everyone is aware. That's the grade we put on the report card.

Curious how you handle that.
    Thanks!!

Here my dream display of grade information:
    1 - change the names of these grades to something more intuitive. Maybe "Mastery Grade" and "Adjusted Grade"?
    2 - have the ability to display both the Actual Grade and the Overall Grade with equal prominence. Both are such critical pieces of information. When I send out reports to our staff and guidance, I include both with an explanation of what they are (because again, those names are not intuitive at all).

stephanie reilly

• 8.  RE: Lowered grade due to not signing on

Posted 8 days ago

They can finish in summer school or pick it up (where they left off) next year... It depends on their situation. If they are on my campus they can finish in summer school or just continue on next year because all of my kids work solely in Edgenuity.  At the high school campus, the students know that they have to complete course by the end-of-year... those that do not are given the opportunity to finish it in summer school. If they do not, they are enrolled in the in-person section of the course with a teacher the following school year. That's usually enough incentive to keep them busy.

Every Pirate. Every Day!

Diane Wilson, Ed.S

901 Maxfield

Waco, Texas  76705

(254)299-6752

(254)265-3350

Avast logo

www.avast.com

• 9.  RE: Lowered grade due to not signing on

Posted yesterday
    My students and parents see the Actual and Overall grades.  We also provide an explanation regarding each grade, basically, if the student completes 100% of the course they will receive the "Overall Grade" if a student completes less than 100% they will receive the "Actual grade".   On a daily basis, parents receive the LMS progress report and that report includes both grades. A low actual grade is an indicator to parents that their student is behind and/or has failing grades. When communicating with parents and students I always highlight which grade the student will receive, if it is a student who is behind pace, this way there are no surprises at the end of the course.

Marcelle McGhee
    Berks County Intermediate Unit

• 10.  RE: Lowered grade due to not signing on

Posted yesterday
    You can decide which grade to show on the dashboard and to students. Have you looked at DIstrict Settings, Features?  On my screen, I can choose which grades to display to my students. 

Marcelle McGhee
    Berks County Intermediate Unit