Edgenuity Community

Expand all | Collapse all

"Start" Date for courses

• 1.  "Start" Date for courses

Posted 16 days ago
    When you enter a "start date" date for a course I would like for the course to be unavailable for a student until that date. As it is, if I enter a start date one month in the future, the student can start on it today. It makes the start date an ineffective tool, in that respect.  Sometimes I like to put everything in that a student might need for credit recovery but I want them to progress in a certain order.

------------------------------
    Diane Wilson
    La Vega ISD - Success Academy

• 2.  RE: "Start" Date for courses

Posted 15 days ago
    Disable the course until you are ready for them to start it, then enable it.

James Luisser
    Allentown School District

• 3.  RE: "Start" Date for courses

Posted 15 days ago
    Thanks! I've done that. The issue really is that I would like to be able to set it up with the start date I want and not have to go back and enable it at some future date. That's not efficient. What is the purpose of being able to change a start date if it isn't going to change the date a student is allowed to start? 

I'd like a student to be able to see something like "English 1 A Start Date 03/31/2021 and then see Algebra 1 B start date 04/30/2021" and know that they have that upcoming. I think it would serve as encouragement PLUS it takes away the task of me having to go back in and assign another course.

Diane Wilson
    La Vega ISD - Success Academy

• 4.  RE: "Start" Date for courses

Posted 11 days ago
    Yes, I totally agree.

stephanie reilly
    fox chapel area school district

• 5.  RE: "Start" Date for courses

Posted 10 days ago
    Hi Diane,

I regularly enroll my students for future dates.  For example, I have students right now with ELA 11B starting 4/15/2021.  I have the activation date set to 4/10/2021 so that it will begin to show on their dashboard when they log in on 4/10/2021.  If they complete Part A before 4/15/2021 they are free to begin Part B.   My students are going through the SIS, not sure if it would be the same thing if your students are going directly to the LMS.

Marcelle McGhee
    Berks County Intermediate Unit

• 6.  RE: "Start" Date for courses

Posted 10 days ago
    I've never heard of the activation date. Where do you set that?
    Also - I'm not sure what you mean by your students go through the SIS.
    Thanks -

stephanie reilly

• 7.  RE: "Start" Date for courses

Posted 10 days ago
    Hi Stephanie

We use Instructional services, Edgenuity teachers, so our students log in through the SIS, which is another login dashboard.  If you use your own teachers and login through the LMS - Student Login Page (See below) then you will not see the "activate date".  You can disregard my response since none of it will apply. 

Marcelle McGhee
    Berks County Intermediate Unit

• 8.  RE: "Start" Date for courses

Posted 10 days ago
    Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

stephanie reilly

• 9.  RE: "Start" Date for courses

Posted 9 days ago

Hi Diane! SO great speaking with you today! As promised, I'll share here the "work around" we talked about in the QA Workshop.

With Manage Enrollments (ME), using the disabled tab-if students are enrolled in "Summer School" courses for example, then disabled, when the "activation" date nears, admin or educators with the right permissions can go to that Disabled Tab on the ME page, use the "Date Disabled" filter, and BULK activate the summer school enrollments!

Amanda Jenkins
    Edgenuity

• 10.  RE: "Start" Date for courses

Posted 8 days ago
    When you say "date disabled filter", is there a filter for that or do you mean click the date disabled column to sort by that date?

I have to say that this is still definitely less than optimal for me, however. Before the school year starts, I enroll the students in their courses and then I could disable all of them, but then we have lots and lots of schedule changes. So if a student was originally scheduled to take French I, I enrolled him and disabled the course, then he changes to Spanish I. I'd enroll him in Spanish I and disable it. Can't bulk re-activate the courses because then I'd re-activate both Spanish I and French I. 
    I have several hundred students and lots of schedule changes. Unless I'm missing something, I don't think this would work for me.

Can her original request be added as a feature request though? Is there any chance of Edgenuity changing this?

stephanie reilly

• 11.  RE: "Start" Date for courses

Posted 8 days ago

It is less than perfect- but it's a temporary fix. I still think an activation date or making the start date be an actual start date would be best. I have made a request to Edgenuity and it would help if others do the same.

Every Pirate. Every Day!

Diane Wilson, Ed.S

La Vega ISD ~ Success Academy

901 Maxfield

Waco, Texas  76705

(254)299-6752

(254)265-3350

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
    www.avast.com

• 12.  RE: "Start" Date for courses

Posted 8 days ago
    Done! :)

stephanie reilly

• 13.  RE: "Start" Date for courses

Posted 8 days ago

Thanks so much and I enjoyed attending the discussion group. I want to encourage everyone to join in because you will learn something you did not even knew you wanted to learn!!!  I will continue to join. 

OH... and I thought of another question overnight... and promptly forgot it when I got to work.  LOL.

Every Pirate. Every Day!

Diane Wilson, Ed.S

La Vega ISD ~ Success Academy

901 Maxfield

Waco, Texas  76705

(254)299-6752

(254)265-3350

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
    www.avast.com