Edgenuity Community

Expand all | Collapse all

How do you engage your students in virtual class meetings?

• 1.  How do you engage your students in virtual class meetings?

Posted 09-24-2020 16:21

I think for younger grades especially working virtually is incredibly challenging. I'm wondering what types of strategies you have used to engage your students and help them feel involved in class and discussion although they are held in Zoom-type environments?  

To start the discussion off, I know a teacher who made 'yes' and 'no,' 'true' and 'false,' 'agree' and 'disagree' type cards. She sent these in the mail to each student. Kids love receiving mail! And when she would ask a question, she would have the students hold up the appropriate cards to answer it.  What has worked for you that you would like to share with other educators? 

------------------------------
    Maryum Mohsin
    CQA Tester
    Edgenuity

• 2.  RE: How do you engage your students in virtual class meetings?

Posted 10-14-2020 08:32
    My neighbor is teaching elementary math virtually and has adopted weekly themes that tie into the instruction. She decorates the bulletin board behind her to match the theme and brings in props and even dresses the part! For example, she "opened a bakery" one week. Kids and parents started joining in the fun by showing up for class with a pastry, pretend money to buy items, and wearing aprons. Sounds like a fun way to keep kids motivated!

Bianca Kress
    Weld North Education

• 3.  RE: How do you engage your students in virtual class meetings?

Posted 10-21-2020 14:52
    When I hear things like that, I wish I could be those kids. What a wonderful way to change it up and bring some excitement into online class meetings.

Maryum Mohsin
    CQA Tester
    Edgenuity

• 4.  RE: How do you engage your students in virtual class meetings?

Posted 10-28-2020 13:15
    I agree with Maryum, these kids are so lucky to have a teacher like that! And with a little preparation, families can find all sorts of things around the house. My pre-schooler has been really dedicated to making his own costume this year. You'd be amazed what families and teachers can do with a little paint, cardboard, and patience!

Emily Kirk
    Customer Engagement Manager
    Edgenuity Inc

• 5.  RE: How do you engage your students in virtual class meetings?

Posted 10-26-2020 11:16
    My son is a sophomore, so maybe this won't work for the younger kids but I wanted to share because of the laughter and interactive participation I heard during my son's online class.
    So my son's teacher had them play Science Squares, based off of some old TV game show called Hollywood Squares in preparation for their test.  They had 2 students chosen to play against each other and the class chose boys vs. girls.  He would ask one of them a question, that student would choose anyone else in the panel (zoom channel) to provide the answer and the student had to say if their answer was correct or not.  The winning team got 10 extra credit points on the test.  The kids were really engaged and when someone didn't know the answer and had to ad-lib some of those were pretty funny, but he didn't degrade them, but it converted into a great learning opportunity for everyone to explain the right answer.

Angi Hast
    Edgenuity

• 6.  RE: How do you engage your students in virtual class meetings?

Posted 10-28-2020 10:01
    I love this idea of science squares! I do think of Hollywood Squares in every Zoom meeting, so it's amazing to see the creativity of this teacher. 
    Has anyone else seen a creative use of technology? I'd love to see someone do something with the Brady Bunch...

Emily Kirk
    Customer Engagement Manager
    Edgenuity Inc

• 7.  RE: How do you engage your students in virtual class meetings?

Posted 10-28-2020 14:20
    Edited by Maryum Mohsin 10-28-2020 14:21
    I remember when the lock-down had first started, I read articles about different families who in an attempt to make it fun for their kids started having theme-oriented dinners and family zoom talent shows. Younger kids could really enjoy theme-oriented zoom meetings. Teachers could let the kids decide or vote on the themes they like or just assign a few. For example, there could be flower week and all students encouraged to wear flowers on shirts, or make their profile pics with flowers, or put flowers in their hair, etc. There could be weeks organized around colors, blue, pink, orange, etc. For vegetable week, each student would show a vegetable from their fridge, or a can of vegies, or something vegetable related. If the teacher knows the students birthdays they could have birthday song and sweets to commemorate. Honestly, one idea just leads to the next.

Maryum Mohsin
    CQA Tester
    Edgenuity