Edgenuity Community

Expand all | Collapse all

Reaching out to parents

• 1.  Reaching out to parents

Posted 10-19-2020 18:14
    When I taught I needed to find a way to reach out to all my student's parents- even those who didn't speak English. I lived in an area where Spanish was prevalent, yet I didn't speak it. I wanted to be able to connect and build a relationship with them despite the language barrier. This is when I reached out to the Spanish teacher on campus to have her translate a letter I wrote up. I left blanks where I could fill-in-the-blanks with the student's name and grade. After I did this I had a handful of students come in and tell me that their parents put the letter on the refrigerator. The elation on their face was priceless. What do you do to reach out to the parents of your students?

------------------------------
    Amber Woodward
    Edgenuity

• 2.  RE: Reaching out to parents

Posted 2 days ago
    I love this Amber! We did something similar to encourage Spanish speaking parents to attend parent-teacher conferences. Our English department drafted an email in Spanish for us to send out to those parents. It was an invitation to attend conferences with teachers and a translator. We had two staff volunteers who spoke Spanish join us. While we didn't get all the parents to come, the few who did were so grateful.

Bianca Kress
    Weld North Education

• 3.  RE: Reaching out to parents

Posted 2 days ago
    I love the idea of including a translator. Who knows, if you ask enough parents, maybe one is bilingual and can be the unofficial translator for meetings. 

Also, if anyone is looking for Edgenuity resources in Spanish, we have a few introductory flyers that can help your parents understand the platform. https://www.edgenuity.com/resources/edgenuity-help-for-families/#getstarted

Emily Kirk
    Customer Engagement Manager
    Edgenuity Inc