Edgenuity Community

Expand all | Collapse all

Virtual Parent-Teacher Conferences

• 1.  Virtual Parent-Teacher Conferences

Posted 10-14-2020 08:13
    It's hard to believe that the first quarter of the 2020 school year is quickly coming to an end! With that comes parent-teacher conferences. And like most of 2020, these conferences will be unique. I've located a great resource to help teachers better prepare for virtual conferences with parents. Take a peak and do share with the group your tips and experiences! How to Do Virtual Parent-Teacher Conference | Albert Resources
    Albert Resources remove preview
    How to Do Virtual Parent-Teacher Conference | Albert Resources
    While the upcoming school year may return to some form of normalcy, it's safe to assume that things are not going to be like they were before. Most likely, education will look like a blend of virtual and in-person instruction, and therefore it's imperative that we as teachers adequately prepare for this new and complex world.
    View this on Albert Resources >

------------------------------
    Bianca Kress
    Weld North Education

• 2.  RE: Virtual Parent-Teacher Conferences

Posted 10-15-2020 16:58
    This is a great find Bianca!

Amber Woodward
    Edgenuity

• 3.  RE: Virtual Parent-Teacher Conferences

Posted 10-21-2020 15:01
    I hadn't even thought about Parent-Teacher conferences. I would love to hear some examples of how teachers in our network have carried these out this year. When I attended conferences for my son, the teachers often commented on the low turn-out on the average for parent teacher conferences. Perhaps being able to schedule them virtually can increase participation since parents are less likely to have an excuse to not meet. No traffic excuses. No doctor appointment excuses. Even a vacation can't prevent a 10 minute virtual chat, can it? 

Maryum Mohsin
    CQA Tester
    Edgenuity

• 4.  RE: Virtual Parent-Teacher Conferences

Posted 10-22-2020 02:55
    We talked about this yesterday in our brick and mortar school that is remote so far this year. Our Principal and Dean of Instruction are going to host a zoom meeting where they are in the "meet and greet room" and all of us teachers are going to be in break out rooms and the Principal and Dean of Instruction will send parents to our individual breakout rooms as the parents arrive and as we are done with the previous parent. We wanted one zoom link -not a bunch - and a way of funnelling parents into the right teacher, since parents may not even know who is teaching their students class. It also gives our principal and dean of instruction time to connect with parents as well in a less formal way to see if there are any needs these families have that our behavior interventionist, community in schools "parent advocate", or attendance mentor can help them to solve.  We decided against "scheduling" parents because so many are late or early or the previous parent we are talking with takes longer than expected that way we can "flow" these parents into an open teacher's breakout room to keep conversations about academics going.

Carla Belyea
    Virtual Math, Chemistry, Computers, and CTE Instructor - Part-Time
    Edgenuity

• 5.  RE: Virtual Parent-Teacher Conferences

Posted 10-23-2020 14:52
    Hi @Carla Belyea
    What an impressive plan! I love the way your team has decided to organize your meetings and the fact that the Principal and Dean are involved and also able to connect with Parents. Please do share your reflection of how the zoom meeting goes and any tips you pick up that other educators who decide to follow your model can gain insight from.

Maryum Mohsin
    CQA Tester
    Edgenuity

• 6.  RE: Virtual Parent-Teacher Conferences

Posted 10-28-2020 10:06
    I think this is so important, Carla. I have heard from numerous families who say they don't even know their student's teacher! The distance caused by the computer screen can often make kids and teachers feel disconnected, and like the person on the other side isn't even real. While parent-teacher conferences will definitely look different this year, research shows there is power in turning on the camera and making that real connection.

Emily Kirk
    Customer Engagement Manager
    Edgenuity Inc

• 7.  RE: Virtual Parent-Teacher Conferences

Posted 10-28-2020 16:00
    @Carla Belyea- This sounds like a great plan! I'd love to know how it went. What worked well? Were there any hiccups that your school would change next time?  ​

Amber Woodward
    Edgenuity

• 8.  RE: Virtual Parent-Teacher Conferences

Posted 30 days ago
    They are happening 11/5/2020, so I will report after they happen.

Carla Belyea
    Edgenuity

• 9.  RE: Virtual Parent-Teacher Conferences

Posted 28 days ago
    Well, I have to say I am so sad about what happened last night. Not one single parent came! We had talked to people via phone, emailed, texted, and no one came. It sounded like such a great plan. Our staff had several hours of conversations so I think for staff morale boosting, but no connections with parents.

Carla Belyea
    Edgenuity

• 10.  RE: Virtual Parent-Teacher Conferences

Posted 27 days ago
    I am sorry that happened to you; I hope you were able to remember the good you do despite the fact that parents did not show up.

Tamie Shiplett
    Buckeye United School District

• 11.  RE: Virtual Parent-Teacher Conferences

Posted 27 days ago
    That's so disappointing! But staff morale is important, too!

I had this conversation in mind when I came across this article today. It's about engaging specifically with families of minority students, but some of their suggestions were inciteful. 

https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2020/11/06/families-not-engaging-with-school-rethink-the.html

Emily Kirk
    Customer Engagement Manager
    Edgenuity Inc

• 12.  RE: Virtual Parent-Teacher Conferences

Posted 27 days ago
    @Carla Belyea- I am sorry to hear that as it seemed like you all had a great plan. If you all hear any feedback from parents and/or teachers on why this may have been, definitely let us all know so we can all learn together.  ​

Amber Woodward
    Edgenuity