Edgenuity Community

Expand all | Collapse all

How can we help parents?

• 1.  How can we help parents?

Posted 09-11-2020 14:59
    Whether kids are working from home 100% of the time or a couple of days a week, parents are more involved in education than ever. How can we support them more? How are you addressing concerns from parents who feel like they have taken on the role of the teacher in their house?

------------------------------
    Emily Kirk
    Customer Engagement Manager
    Edgenuity Inc

• 2.  RE: How can we help parents?

Posted 09-11-2020 23:37
    I was sending out progress reports this week. One mother sent me an email within 5 minutes asking why the score was so low. I explained and mentioned student taking their notes in a notebook from the course as they move through the course. She emailed me again saying she would get her child a notebook. I did send a bulk email in August about having a notebook with handwritten notes.

----------------
    Camille Stack 
    Professional Virtual Instructor

BOOK OdysseywareInstructionalServices1633591@edgenuityinc.onmicrosoft.com/bookings/" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" title="https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/OdysseywareInstructionalServices1633591@edgenuityinc.onmicrosoft.com/bookings/" style="margin: 0px">a meeting
    ----------------

• 3.  RE: How can we help parents?

Posted 09-12-2020 10:20
    Here is a link to a site that has answers for parents about the portal where they can get the information that the parent will find helpful about attendance and scores. 

Mary Knick
    Edgenuity

• 4.  RE: How can we help parents?

Posted 09-18-2020 08:46
    That link does not work...

Laura McMillan
    Tracy Independent Study Charter School

• 5.  RE: How can we help parents?

Posted 09-18-2020 08:51
    Here's the new link. Can you think of anything we should add to help parents?
    https://help.edgenuitycourseware.com/hc/en-us/articles/360046195654

Emily Kirk
    Edgenuity Inc

• 6.  RE: How can we help parents?

Posted 09-18-2020 08:57
    I am sorry. Let me see if I can't track down the correct one. I used that link to help parents in my learning recovery courses this summer. It looks like it has expired since then.

• 7.  RE: How can we help parents?

Posted 09-15-2020 08:25
    Open communication and mutual gratitude is very helpful. I think about all of the times that parents reached out to me via email with questions about their student and even just to say thank you. Now that parents and teachers are sharing the teaching spotlight, communication is more important than ever. A weekly email to parents just to let them know that a teacher is grateful for their help at home and to extend an invitation to reach out with concerns or questions can make a huge difference.

Bianca Kress
    Weld North Education

• 8.  RE: How can we help parents?

Posted 09-19-2020 10:28
    Continual communication using every option and stressing an "open door" policy to answer questions and provide help.  Helping the parent to interpret the data and where to find resources and tools and explaining the benefit for their child and them self are a few ways that have lead to a positive dialogue.

Wendy Sue Morris
    Virtual Instructor Science
    Edgenuity

• 9.  RE: How can we help parents?

Posted 09-21-2020 09:09
    Do you ever find it difficult to give parents the information they are asking for?

Emily Kirk
    Edgenuity Inc

• 10.  RE: How can we help parents?

Posted 09-22-2020 11:38
    It is best to speak with parents directly I have found to try to eliminate any misunderstanding and it is even better if we can be looking at the specific issue/information.  Parent do struggle to understand some of the concepts and navigating to find various components.  I try to send visuals or snips to reinforce data or concepts.  It may take several attempts at explanation but many times they grasp the basics and then the process of continual learning begins.

Wendy Sue Morris
    Virtual Instructor Science
    Edgenuity

• 11.  RE: How can we help parents?

Posted 10-23-2020 08:02
    I run a cyberschool for over 1,000 students so I have experience dealing with parents from all walks of life.  We have a very hands-on approach to running our program.  We prioritize responding to parents and students above anything we are doing.  

We hold a face-face (Zoom) orientation for every student enrolled in our program. We review our policies, attendance, and walk families through using the online platform.  We also share our best practices with families and stress the need for structure and monitoring of school work in the home.  We also hold Virtual Office Hours every Tuesday and are considering adding evening Virtual office hours due to the numerous parent requests.  We have an 8 am - 5 pm hotline that parents can call. and we do our best to have someone available to answer that line. We send the progress report from the LMS every week to parents and we constantly encourage and remind parents to log in to the Family Portal to monitor attendance and progress.  I have the LMS dashboard open all day and I am constantly checking on students.  I call home and send emails as soon as I see any issues or receive communication from the Edgenuity teachers. 

I think technology has been the biggest barrier for parents.  Parents need the basics, like how to charge the iPad or how to get the device on the wifi.  I think until the technical hurdles are crossed there is very little chance of student success.  More videos on things like "how to update the iPad", how to "reset the password".  Posting step-by-step documents is great, but in my experience, very few parents experiencing stress are going to try to find those documents instead I download the PDFs and distribute them to my parents.

Marcelle McGhee
    Berks County Intermediate Unit

• 12.  RE: How can we help parents?

Posted 10-23-2020 15:03
    Hi @Marcelle McGhee
    You listed so many wonderful ways that you maintain contact with parents and students. Have you noticed a difference for parents? Have they been receptive or appreciative of all the options you provide them? I'd love to hear your reflections.

I wonder if anyone has tried casual coffee zooms open to parents or any other informal types of reach out to build community between parents and teachers. ​

Maryum Mohsin
    CQA Tester
    Edgenuity