Edgenuity Community

Expand all | Collapse all

Diverse Literature and Authors

• 1.  Diverse Literature and Authors

Posted 12-01-2020 08:10
    Hi everyone! I'm constantly searching for new stories, poems, plays, and novels to build a library of rich and diverse literature and authors. More so than ever our students are hungry for literature that is relevant and representative of their cultures and lives. While timeless themes are still found in our typical classroom canon, these lit lists lack diverse perspectives, characters, and writers. I'd love to hear about literature and authors that you all have included in your classroom to embrace diversity. Here's a truly remarkable list I came across recently: Non-White Authors to Diversify Your AP Lit Curriculum - AP Lit & More
    AP Lit & More remove preview
    Non-White Authors to Diversify Your AP Lit Curriculum - AP Lit & More
    BIPOC, Latinx, Asian, Native American, and world authors are not new to the scene. They are not "trendy." They've been around for ages. Unfortunately, many teachers (myself included) have not been concerned enough over their representation in the literary canon or the AP Lit curriculum in general.
    View this on AP Lit & More >

------------------------------
    Bianca Kress
    Weld North Education

• 2.  RE: Diverse Literature and Authors

Posted 12-02-2020 09:42
    This is great, Bianca, thanks for sharing!

I also found this article about creating a culturally responsive classroom. It's not exactly a reading list, but some interesting things to consider. And most you can do in a remote environment, too!

https://www.eschoolnews.com/2020/11/30/6-ways-to-create-a-culturally-responsive-classroom/?all

Emily Kirk
    Customer Engagement Manager
    Edgenuity Inc